The aim of this work is to extend the validity of the Microdosimetric d(z) Model to other detector types such as CaF2:Tm thermoluminescent detectors and Al2O3:C optically stimulated luminescent detectors.
The structure of the work is summarized hereunder.
- Creation of a database of relative efficiency of luminescent detectors including SCK•CEN and literature data
- Simulations of the radiation-detector interaction at a nanometric scale using the Monte Carlo code PHITS in different sensitive sizes ranging from 1 to 2000 nm.
- Experimental determination of the dose response of the detectors by experimental irradiations at SCK•CEN and/or by using literature data
- Application of the Microdosimetric d(z) Model for predicting the efficiency of the detector as function of the dimension of the sensitive sites
- Identification of the optimal sensitive size dimension
- Validation of the obtained results by an in depth comparison with experimentally determined efficiency data
- Uncertainty assessment
- Writing of the thesis/internship report
Berger, T. and Hajek, M., 2008. TL-efficiency—overview and experimental results over the years. Radiation Measurements, 43(2-6), pp.146-156.
Parisi, A., Van Hoey, O. and Vanhavere, F., 2017 a. Microdosimetric modeling of the relative luminescence efficiency of LiF:Mg,Ti (MTS) detectors exposed to charged particles. Radiation protection dosimetry, pp.1-4.
Parisi, A., Van Hoey, O., Mégret, P. and Vanhavere, F., 2017 b. Microdosimetric modeling of the relative luminescence efficiency of LiF:Mg,Cu,P (MCP) detectors exposed to charged particles. Radiation protection dosimetry, accepted for publication.
Parisi, A., 2018. Space and Hadron Therapy with Luminescent Detectors: Microdosimetric Modeling and Experimental Measurements. PhD Thesis, Polytech of Mons.
Sato, T., Iwamoto, Y., Hashimoto, S., Ogawa, T., Furuta, T., Abe, S.I., Kai, T., Tsai, P.E., Matsuda, N., Iwase, H. and Shigyo, N., 2018. Features of Particle and Heavy Ion Transport code System (PHITS) version 3.02. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, pp.1-7.
Sawakuchi, G.O., Yukihara, E.G., McKeever, S.W.S., Benton, E.R., Gaza, R., Uchihori, Y., Yasuda, N. and Kitamura, H., 2008. Relative optically stimulated luminescence and thermoluminescence efficiencies of Al 2 O 3: C dosimeters to heavy charged particles with energies relevant to space and radiotherapy dosimetry. Journal of Applied Physics, 104(12), p.124903.